I love, let me emphasize that, LOVE Carnitas I plan on making this, portioning it up and freezing to use in a home made version of the Chipotle’s Carnita’s Salad that I love from someone told me about when I was on the Paleo Diet(I’ll make a post about that one later).
I think that you will need a decent size slow cooker to make this, a 6-8 lb pork butt is pretty decently sized, and then when you add in 2 cups of juice it will probably fill up the crock and then when you figure in the juices that come out of the meat, it might be pretty full.
Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
By December 27, 2012Published:
- Yield: 20-30 Servings
- Cook: 8 hrs 0 min
I love, let me emphasize that, LOVE Carnitas I plan on making this, portioning it up and freezing to use in a home made version of the …
- 1 6-8 lb pork butt, also called pork shoulder
- 2 Tbsp Salt Coarse
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Black pepper Freshly Ground
- 1 Tbsp Oregano Dried
- 2 tsp Cinnamon Groound
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper To taste
- 8 Whole cloves Garlic Smashed
- 4 Whole Chipotle Peppers Canned or dried
- 1 C Tomato Juice
- 1 C Orange Juice
- Trim excess fat from the meat and discard.
- Place all ingredients in the slow-cooker. Set to cook on LOW for 8 hours. Meat is done when it literally falls off the bone.
- When cool enough to handle, lift the meat from the juices and place in a large bowl. Remove the bone, then shred the meat.
- Skim the fat from the juices and keep as a medium for re-heating the meat.
- For carnitas tacos, reheat the meat and serve in corn tortillas with sour cream, cilantro, chopped red onion and lime wedges.